- Avoid using candles. Use battery powered lanterns or glow light sticks
- Always keep matches and lighters out of children’s reach
- If you use lighters, buy those with a child resistant feature
- Do not overload electrical outlets with lighting or special effects
- Adults should assist children when carving pumpkins
- Keep porch and walkways clear by eliminating tripping hazards
- Wear costumes that are bright, light colored or reflective
- Make sure shoes fit well
- Use fabrics that are flame retardant (check label)
- Avoid costumes that can cause tripping or entanglement
- Wear a mask of non toxic cosmetics applied directly to the skin
- Mask eye holes should be large enough for peripheral vision
- Use reflective tape on costumes and Trick or Treat bags for visibility
- Use props such as knives or swords that are flexible, not rigid or sharp
- Remember to Stop, Drop and Roll if your clothes catch on fire
Fire Place Safety
- Have your chimney inspected by a professional before each heating season and cleaned if needed.
- Before lighting, check flue to make sure it is open.
- Keep a screen in front of fireplace at all times.
- Completely extinguish fire before closing the flue
- Chimneys are required to be equipped with spark arresters.
- Store ashes in a metal container with a tight fitting metal lid outside the home.
- Never dispose of a Christmas tree in the fireplace.
- Keep paper, kindling and flammable materials three feet away from fireplace.
- Avoid using the fireplace during extreme wind conditions.
- Avoid hanging stockings on the mantel when using the fireplace.
- Do not burn trash, paper or green wood in your fireplace.
- Make sure the fire is out before going to bed or leaving the house.
Decorating and Lighting Safety
- Decorate with flame-resistant or non-combustible materials.
- Use lights and electrical decorations that are UL listed (check labels).
- Inspect light strands prior to use.
- Unplug lights before changing the bulbs or fuses.
- Do not overload an extension cord, remember they are for temporary use only.
- Use precaution hanging lights with nails and staples, they can damage cords.
- Turn lights off before going to bed or leaving the home.
- Avoid areas where the cords can cause a tripping hazard .
- Keep out of the reach of small children and pets.