Candles may be pretty to look at but they are a cause of home fires---and home deaths. Remember a candle is an open flame which means it can ignite anything that can burn.
- Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed. Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep.
- Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything it can burn.
- Think about using flameless candles in your home. They look and smell like real candles.
If you do burn candles, make sure that you...
- Use candle holders that are sturdy, and won't tip over easily.
- Put candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.
- Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame.
- Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home.
- Have flashlights and battery-powered lighting ready to use during a power outage. Never use candles