Classes of Fires
- A Ordinary combustibles such as furniture, wood and paper goods
- B Flammable liquids such as gas, oil, and paint
- C Energized electrical equipment such as appliances, wiring, and machinery
- D Combustible metals and dust such as magnesium or sodium
The letter or picture symbol will tell you for which type/class fire it is used.
Types of fire extinguishers
- Multipurpose (ABC or BC)
- Dry Chemical
- Purple K
Location of fire extinguisher
- Fire extinguishers should be easily accessible and located near unobstructed exits.
- Extinguishers should be installed away from potential fire hazards such as heating appliances.
- Rule of thumb is to have extinguishers available every 75 feet.
Proper Extinguisher use
Make sure you are in a location where you are near an exit, so if the fire gets too large to handle you will not be trapped and still have a way out.
Use the P.A.S.S. technique to extinguisher the fire:
PULL the pin
AIM the nozzle at the base of the fire
SQUEEZE the handle
SWEEP back and forth at the base of the fire until no flames are visible
- Fire extinguishers in the workplace are required to be serviced annually (by a licensed contractor)
- They should also be checked monthly to ensure they are in working order (by a staff member).
- The gauge should read in the green area.
- If the gauge reads in the red area it needs to be serviced immediately.
- If the fire extinguisher container is damaged it is considered out of order and should be serviced immediately.
- Fire extinguishers should be serviced immediately after every use.
- Fire extinguishers should be listed and labeled by FM factory Mutual or UL Underwriters Laboratory.
- Always sound an alarm first, or notify someone to call 9-1-1.
- All fires, whether large or small, should be reported.
- The building is evacuated.
- The fire is confined to a small area and is not spreading.
- Your back is to an accessible exit.
- Do not dispose of charged extinguisher in any regular waste bin.
- Fire extinguishers are considered hazardous waste and need to be disposed of properly.
- We recommend that they get dropped off at any household hazardous/ electronic waste collection event or any permanent collection center located throughout Ventura County.