Ventura County residents are encouraged to plan and prepare their properties for possible flooding before it occurs. With rain storms predicted this season, VCFD is making an emergency supply of sand bags available to the public and sharing important safety tips.
Watch Ready for Rain Videos:
- Ready for Rain Tips - Home and property preparation tips
- Sandbag Basics - Learn how to use sandbags to help divert moving water and redirect debris away from properties
- Exit Drills Inside The Home (E.D.I.T.H.) - Prepare your escape plan
Sand and Sandbags
- Free supplies are available to homeowners in the recent burn areas at local VCFD fire station. Click here for VCFD fire station locations.
- Please call ahead to your local VCFD fire station at (805) 371-1111 for availability. Residents should be prepared to fill and transport sandbags as fire station personnel may or may not be available to assist due to other emergency activities.
- Sand and sandbags can also be purchased from local DIY stores
- Yerba Buena Rd. & Vedder Rd
- Westlake Blvd. & Carlyle Cyn.
- Circle X Ranch off Yerba Buena Rd.
- La Granada Dr. & Crown View Ct.
- Erbes Rd. & Avenida De Las Flores
- Bell Canyon Blvd. just past the main gate at the bus stop
- Wood Ranch Pkwy. & Long Canyon Rd. in the trail head parking lot
Before the rain
- Download a “Ready, Set, Go!” flood preparation guide or visit www.VCReadySetGo.org
- Register your phone to receive “VC Alert” by contacting VC Alert Hotline at (805) 648-9283.
- Prepare, plan and stay informed with Ventura County, visit www.ReadyVenturaCounty.org
- Monitor weather forecasts for potential impacts in your area.
- Identify access route(s) in and out of your neighborhood.
- Keep emergency supplies on hand, such as a flashlight, water, food, first aid kit and a portable radio with extra batteries.
- Clear debris from curbside gutters and drains in yards, driveways and pool decks, and inspect roofs to check for loose tiles, holes, or other signs of trouble.
- Research flood insurance plans and coverage needs.
- Clear and place sandbags in problem areas if an area has been affected by wildfire or if there have been past flooding problems.
- Inspect storm drains before and after heavy rainfall. If blocked, contact your City Public Works Department or Ventura County Public Works at (805) 654-2001.
During the rain
- Use extreme caution when crossing roads or areas of flowing water. Flowing water can be dangerous and deceivingly deep.
- Keep away from flood control debris basins, channels, facilities and river beds.
- Check www.vcemergency.com for incident information about road closures, evacuations and any areas impacted by the storm.