Child Passenger Safety
VCFD, CPST and Your Child’s Car Seat Safety
Each VCFD professional is also trained and certified through National Highway Transportation Safety Association (NHTSA) as a Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST). The purpose of this program is to educate parents on proper use and installation of child safety car seats. Our office regularly provides child car seat inspections, installation guidance, product recall checks, and informative literature. We may also co-sponsor checkpoint events.
To make an appointment for any of these vital child car seat safety matters, visit this page.
Our Child Car Seat Inspection Station Locations
We partner with Safe Kids Ventura County to offer a multitude of child car seat safety inspection stations. To learn more visit the Safe Kids Ventura County website.
What Happens When You Meet with a CPST?
- The child car seat will be removed from the vehicle to ensure its proper function
- The CPST will check to see if the specific seat has ever been recalled
- The caregivers and the CPST will discuss the best placement and installation method
- Caregivers will learn how to adjust the seat as the child grows, how to install the seat, and how to properly restrain the child in the car seat, booster, or seat belt
- The CPST will discuss next steps and additional safety concerns
- The caregiver will have the chance to ask questions—and get take-home information
How Should I Prepare for My Appointment?
- Install the child car seat yourself if possible
- Bring the manuals for both the seat and the vehicle
- If the child is unable to attend, communicate their current weight and height
- Try to move any unnecessary objects out of the vehicle and its trunk
- Expect to be at the appointment for approximately one hour
- Bring toys or activities to keep kids busy during the appointment
- Wear casual, comfortable clothes that will allow you to assist in installation