Standards & Guidelines
Fire Prevention standards
- 501 Fire Apparatus Access
Provides the minimum requirements for fire apparatus access roads. This standard also includes requirements for access road gates, fire lanes, and turnarounds/turnouts.
- 502 Premises Identification
Provides the minimum requirements for property identification.
- 506 Knox Rapid Entry System
Provides the minimum requirements for installation and use of the Knox Rapid Entry System.
- 509C Plan Submittal Sheet for Residential Fire Sprinklers (Exhibit C)
Plan submittal sheet to be used on all residential fire sprinkler systems.
- 515 Defensible Space and Fuel Modification Zones
Provides the minimum requirements for installation and maintenance of defensible space and fuel modification zones.
- 516 Composting, Mulch and Organic Processing
Provides the minimum requirements for processing, storage and application of composting, mulch and organic materials.
- 517 Application of Mulch and Chips in Defensible Space
Provides the minimum requirements for application of mulch and wood chips within the defensible space of a structure.
- 518 Alternate Materials and Methods
Provides requirements for filing a request for alternate materials and methods.
- 519 Fire Watch
Identifies when a fire watch is required and the minimum requirements for the fire watch.
- 521 Fireworks Requirements
Provides the minimum requirements for the public display of fireworks.
- 14.5.3 Fire Hydrants
Provides the minimum requirements for fire hydrants.
- 14.6.10 Access and Water Supplies for Public Schools
Provides the minimum requirements for access roads and water supply.
- 14.7.2 Installation of Commercial Fire Sprinklers
Provides the minimum requirements for the design and installation of automatic fire sprinkler systems in commercial, industrial and multi-family dwellings.
- 14.7.3 Installation of Fire Alarms
Provides the minimum requirements for the design and installation of automatic and manual fire alarm systems and fire sprinkler monitoring systems.
- 14.7.4 Fire Extinguishing Systems for Commercial Cooking Operations
Provides the minimum requirements for the design, installation, testing and inspection of fire extinguishing systems for commercial cooking operations.
- 14.7.5 High-Piled Combustible Storage
Provides the minimum requirements for high-piled combustible storage.
Fire Prevention Guidlines
- 401 – Special Event Guideline
Provides a summary of the Fire District’s standard conditions for special events.
- 403 – Fire Hazard Reduction Program (FHRP) Abatement Assessment and Appeal Process Guideline
Provides a summary of the process to file an appeal to a FHRP abatement assessment.
- 404 – Recreational Fire Safety Guideline
Provides a summary of safety guidelines for the use of recreational fires.
- 410-Prohibited Plant List Guideline
Provides a guide of prohibited plants for defensible space and fuel modification zones.
- 412-Definitions Applicable to the Fire Hazard Reduction Program (FHRP)
Provides a guide to definitions that are applicable to the Fire Hazard Reduction Program (FHRP)
- 414 – Re-Opening of Assembly Occupancies During COVID-19 Guideline
Provides a summary of fire safety requirements for the re-opening of an assembly occupancy during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 416 – Landscape and Fuel Modification Zone Plans
Provides a guide for submitting landscape and fuel modification zone plans.
- 418 – Defensible Space
Provides a guide for the implementation of requirements contained in VCFD Standard 515.
- 420 – Changes in Defensible Space Laws and Regulations
Provides a summary of recent changes in State Laws and Regulations as they relate to how defensible space requirements are applied in Ventura County.
- 421 – Combustible Fencing in Defensible Space Zones
Provides a summary of requirements new combustible fencing when located within five (5) feet of a building that is located in a Fire Hazard Severity Zone or local Wildland-Urban Interface zone.
- 423 – Defensible Space Maintenance Guide
Provides guidance for maintenance of defensible space.
- Crop and Orchard Warming Directive
Provides a guide for the use of small warming fires during frost prevention activities.
23-800 Sea Cargo / Metal Storage Containers
Application of the Ventura County Fire Code to prefabricated sea cargo/metal storage containers.
23-801 Portable Fire Extinguishers in Group R-2 Occupancies
Application of the Ventura County Fire Code Section 906.1.
23-802 Construction in Water Impact Areas
Provides the requirements for construction in identified water impact areas.
23-804 Applicability of the VCFC and VCFD Standard 515
Provides a summary of the applicability and requirements for installation, maintenance and spacing of plants, trees, and other vegetation within required defensible space and fuel modification zones.