Location of fire extinguisher
- Fire extinguishers should be easily accessible and located near unobstructed exits.
- Extinguishers should be installed away from potential fire hazards such as heating appliances.
- Rule of thumb is to have extinguishers available every 75 feet.
Proper Extinguisher use
Make sure you are in a location where you are near an exit, so if the fire gets too large to handle you will not be trapped and still have a way out.
Use the P.A.S.S. technique to extinguisher the fire:
PULL the pin
AIM the nozzle at the base of the fire
SQUEEZE the handle
SWEEP back and forth at the base of the fire until no flames are visible
Types of fire extinguishers
- Multipurpose (ABC or BC)
- Dry Chemical
- Purple K
Classes of Fires
- A Ordinary combustibles such as furniture, wood and paper goods
- B Flammable liquids such as gas, oil, and paint
- C Energized electrical equipment such as appliances, wiring, and machinery
- D Combustible metals and dust such as magnesium or sodium
The letter or picture symbol will tell you for which type/class fire it is used.
Fire Extinguishers can be a life saver!
If a fire happens, do you know how to use one ?
Click to view our How to Use a Fire Extinguisher video