Active Calls:

Holiday Safety

Halloween Safety


  • Avoid using candles. Use battery powered lanterns or glow light sticks
  • Always keep matches and lighters out of children’s reach
  • If you use lighters, buy those with a child resistant feature
  • Do not overload electrical outlets with lighting or special effects
  • Adults should assist children when carving pumpkins
  • Keep porch and walkways clear by eliminating tripping hazards


  • Wear costumes that are bright, light colored or reflective
  • Make sure shoes fit well
  • Use fabrics that are flame retardant (check label)
  • Avoid costumes that can cause tripping or entanglement
  • Wear a mask of non toxic cosmetics applied directly to the skin
  • Mask eye holes should be large enough for peripheral vision
  • Use reflective tape on costumes and Trick or Treat bags for visibility
  • Use props such as knives or swords that are flexible, not rigid or sharp
  • Remember to Stop, Drop and Roll if your clothes catch on fire

Fire Place Safety

  • Have your chimney inspected by a professional before each heating season and cleaned if needed.
  • Before lighting, check flue to make sure it is open.
  • Keep a screen in front of fireplace at all times.
  • Completely extinguish fire before closing the flue
  • Chimneys are required to be equipped with spark arresters.
  • Store ashes in a metal container with a tight fitting metal lid outside the home.
  • Never dispose of a Christmas tree in the fireplace.
  • Keep paper, kindling and flammable materials three feet away from fireplace.
  • Avoid using the fireplace during extreme wind conditions.
  • Avoid hanging stockings on the mantel when using the fireplace.
  • Do not burn trash, paper or green wood in your fireplace.
  • Make sure the fire is out before going to bed or leaving the house.

Decorating and Lighting Safety

  • Decorate with flame-resistant or non-combustible materials.
  • Use lights and electrical decorations that are UL listed (check labels).
  • Inspect light strands prior to use.
  • Unplug lights before changing the bulbs or fuses.
  • Do not overload an extension cord, remember they are for temporary use only.
  • Use precaution hanging lights with nails and staples, they can damage cords.
  • Turn lights off before going to bed or leaving the home.
  • Avoid areas where the cords can cause a tripping hazard .
  • Keep out of the reach of small children and pets.

Christmas Safety

  • When purchasing an artificial tree, look for the label "Fire Resistant." Although this label does not mean the tree will not catch fire, it does indicate the tree will resist burning and should extinguish quickly.
  • Never use electric lights on a metallic tree. The tree can become charged with electricity from faulty lights, and a person touching it could be electrocuted.
  • When purchasing a live tree, check for freshness. Fresh trees are green, the needles are hard to pull from branches and when bent between your fingers, the needles do not break. The bottom of a fresh tree is sticky with resin, and when tapped on the ground the tree should not lose many needles. The fresh cut surface should be creamy-white so that the tree will be able to drink water.
  • Choose a sturdy stand that holds at least one gallon of water.
  • Make a fresh cut across the tree's base and immediately place in water. Keep the tree's water container full at all times, checking the water level daily. Dispose of tree when needles begin to fall off easily or if it turns brown
  • Wash the debris off tree. When you get your tree home, spray it with water to remove all dead needles and dust.
  • When setting up a tree at home, place it a minimum of three feet away from fireplaces, radiators and other heat sources. Remember, heated rooms dry out live trees rapidly.
  • Make sure all light sets are listed and approved, by looking for the "UL" symbol from the Underwriter Laboratories on a label or package.
  • Check each set of light strands, new and old, for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, or loose connections. Throw out damaged sets and replace non-working light bulbs.
  • Use no more than three standard-size sets of lights per single extension cord.
  • Turn off all lights when you go to bed or leave the house.
  • Use only non-combustible or flame-resistant materials to trim a tree.
  • Beware of children and pets around decoration that have potential of causing them injury if touched or ingested.
  • Never decorate Christmas trees or other evergreens with lighted candles.
  • Wear gloves to avoid eye and skin irritation while decorating with spun glass "angel hair."
  • Follow container directions carefully to avoid lung irritation while decorating with artificial snow sprays.
  • Never burn Christmas trees or wrappings in a fireplace or wood stove.
  • Keep the emergency escape route clear of trees, packages, and furniture.
  • Consider having your tree sprayed with a State Fire Marshall approved flame-retardant chemical.
  • After Christmas, remove your tree from the house as soon as possible. The best alternative is to RECYCLE your tree either through your city or county program.